DAISY Award Recipient

Susan Hartmann, RN, recipient of the October DAISY Award

Nomination for Sue Hartmann, RN (October recipient):

Sue is very special. She’s always kind. She always makes sure that I’m comfortable. One day I came to visit my grandson and it was a rainy day. I forgot my umbrella. When I got to the NICU I was very wet and Sue gave me a blanket to put over myself. She’s so kind and always taking care of others. God put her in our lives to help us through this tough time. Thank you.

And then another family member wrote, “Sue is a very special nurse. She bought my son a few outfits and a Halloween costume!! She says she doesn’t have any grandkids yet  so she treats my son, myself and all my family like FAMILY!!

The DAISY award was established in 1999 by the family of Patrick Barnes, a 33-year-old who died from an auto-immune disease. During his hospitalization, Barnes’ family said they “experienced the best of nursing.” After his death, they decided to create the nursing award and foundation in Barnes’ honor, dubbing it DAISY as an acronym for Diseases Attacking the Immune System.

Since then, the award has become a national recognition of nursing excellence that’s presented to RNs and APNs at more than 1,700 health care facilities across the country.

The award honors nurses who provide clinical expertise, kindness and courtesy, professionalism, interdisciplinary work, and extraordinary care. Recipients are nominated by peers, health care providers and colleagues, patients or a patient’s family member and are chosen by members of the hospital’s Employment Engagement Committee, which reviews and votes on each nomination.

%d bloggers like this: