Shared Governance Prepare Much-Needed Supplies for Local CPS Kids

Holiday Hygiene Group Shot, cropped

Nearly three dozen University of Chicago Medicine nurses sorted, bagged and packed “holiday hygiene” kits for local students in mid-December.

The volunteers, who set up an assembly line in an old OR in the Surgery Brain Building, cranked out 270 kits in an hour.

Contents included shampoo, toothbrushes, toothpaste, floss, lip balm, mouth rinse, soap, lotion, and combs.

Nurses will distribute the packs to eighth-graders at 12 local Chicago Public Schools (CPS) in January, along with a health education program.

Working with principals at CPS schools in our neighborhood, who identified the need for hygiene products in their schools, Nursing Shared Governance teamed with CPS to bring the much-needed supplies to local kids.

“I was actually shocked at the need,” said volunteer Dennis Billena, BSN, RN. “They showed us the statistics.”

“People need as much help as we can give them,” added Lorice Pullins, BSN, RN. “I like to help. I’m a nurse. That’s what I do.”

Staff donations financed the project and will underwrite the purchase of supplies for another 162 kits in January.

(Photos by Molly Woulfe)

%d bloggers like this: